WHY AND HOW WAS THIS CURRICULUM DEVELOPED?
In the wake of the Gaborone Workshop (H3ABioNet / University of Botswana, March 11th-12th 2014), H3ABioNet decided to build a taskforce to develop a standard curriculum in bioinformatics.
This site is the repository for the bioinformatics curricula outlines, produced and proposed by the Curriculum Development TaskForce (CDTF). The hope is that this curriculum – in conjunction with the set of guidelines – will be used by institutions wanting to implement their own bioinformatics degree program.
Further information on this H3ABioNet initiative may be found here
ARE YOU INTERESTED in setting up a bioinformatics degree program at your institution, with limited resources?
View our degree program guidelines to see what H3ABioNet suggests.
For any question relative to this website, please send an email to info(at)h3abionet.org
- Quality assurance manuals from the Research Unit in Bioinformatics (RUBi), Rhodes University, South Africa
- Quality assurance manual from the Faculty of Computer Science, Future University, Sudan
- Proposal for Master of Science in Bioinformatics, Faculty of Biomedical Sciences & Health Professions, Biomedical Sciences Department
College of Medicine University of Malawi: University_of_Malawi_COM_Bioinformatics_Curriculum_19_10_2015_proposal
- Welch L, Lewitter F, Schwartz R, Brooksbank C, Radivojac P, Gaeta B, et al. (2014) Bioinformatics Curriculum Guidelines: Toward a Definition of Core Competencies. PLoS Comput Biol 10(3): e1003496. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pcbi.1003496
- Philip Machanick Özlem Tastan Bishop.How to establish a bioinformatics postgraduate degree programme—a case study from South Africa. Briefings in Bioinformatics, Volume 16, Issue 2, 1 March 2015, Pages 346–354, https://doi.org/10.1093/bib/bbu014
- Welch L, Brooksbank C, Schwartz R, Morgan SL, Gaeta B, Kilpatrick AM, et al. Applying, Evaluating and Refining Bioinformatics Core Competencies (An Update from the Curriculum Task Force of ISCB’s Education Committee). PLoS Comput Biol 12(5) 2016. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pcbi.1004943